Hong Kong protesters threaten talks boycott

By admin on 03/10/2014

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 1,209


Leaders of pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong have threatened to call off talks with the government after demonstrators were involved in scuffles with angry opponents.

The government must prevent "organised attacks on supporters of the Occupy movement", they said.

The protesters, angry at China's plan to vet election candidates, have been occupying parts of the city.

They had earlier accepted an offer of talks from Hong Kong's chief executive.

In the commercial district of Mong Kok, on the Kowloon peninsula, opponents of the demonstrators dismantled tents.

Police linked arms to try to separate the opposing groups.

Later, more pro-democracy activists flooded the area and now vastly outnumber their opponents, says the BBC's Martin Patience in Mong Kok.

They began chanting: "Go back to the mainland."

 

Many local residents have been angered by the disruption caused by the protests, but activists say the opposition to them is being coordinated by the authorities.

 

"I don't support Occupy Central. We have to work and make money. Occupy is just a game," said a construction worker who gave his name as Mr Lee, quoted by AFP news agency.

"Give us Mong Kok back, we Hong Kongers need to eat!" another said.

Similar scuffles took place in Causeway Bay on Hong Kong Island, where residents tried to remove barricades put up by pro-democracy protesters.

The three main protest groups issued a statement blaming the authorities for the violence.

"If the government does not immediately prevent the organised attacks on supporters of the Occupy movement, the students will call off dialogue on political reform with the government," it said.

Government offices in the main protest-hit area have been closed, with the authorities urging staff to work from home because roads were blocked.

At the heart of the row is how Hong Kong elects its next leader. In August, Beijing imposed tight rules on nominations for candidates wanting to stand for election.

The protesters say this move means that the polls will fall short of the free elections they are seeking.

Several days into their week-long demonstrations, the protesters added the demand that Chief Executive CY Leung step down.

Mr Leung refused late on Thursday but offered talks with his deputy, which the activists accepted.

The central government in Beijing has thrown its full support behind Mr Leung, calling the protests illegal and "doomed to fail"

 

Source BBC

Posted on October, 3 2014

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


You may also like...
Super Eagles move four steps up on FIFA...

PMB shares classroom with students in Benin

Barcelona icon Lionel Messi wins his 4th European...

Paul Le Guen Tipped for Eagles Job

$26B Oil Scam: Senate begins probe on revocation...

Hausa Community blows hot writes Sultan in protest...

Jagielka cracker nicks point

BREAKING (UPDATED) : airforce helicopter crashes in Kaduna...

FG sets up ‘full-fledged’ Whistleblower unit, recovers N11.6billion...

Gunmen attack Kenya University;leave 70 dead

ISIS Plot To Attack Subways In Paris And...

BBC African Footballer of the Year 2014 shortlist...
News Abia Election Special (4) Abia Supplementary Polls Update (18) Abia Supplementary Result update (22) Appointments (10) Breaking News (202) Business (50) Campus News (5) Crime (146) Economy (123) Education (146) Entertainment (155) Fashion and Style (3) General (973) Health (117) Inside Africa (41) International News (309) Interviews (32) National (2022) Politics (1146) Press Releases (128) Religion (9) Security (142) Sports (442) Technology (27) World News (87)

 

 

Advertisement

 

Latest News Lawan lied, Senator’s monthly take home pay is N15m – Sagay Super Eagles zoom into AFCON Round of 16 after downing Guinea Okorocha, wife, took away 67 vehicles –Imo govt 30 states under threat of flooding says NIHSA 70-year-old man arrested for allegedly defiling 5 year old girl in Imo Abia Speaker appoints CPS Court Has No Jurisdiction For My Arrest Warrant, Says Innoson Boss Buhari appoints Thomas John acting Alternate chairman of NNPC Governing board Make yourselves catalysts for the development of Abia, JOK tells Abia Youths My monthly salary is N750,000, Senate President reveals

 

Most Read Islamic agenda for Nigeria – Pastor Bosun (25,228 views) 47 YEARS AFTER, HIS EXCELLENCY, COMMODORE EBITU UKIWE (Rtd) MAKES THE “OFO NDI IGBO” RECIPIENTS LIST (21,074 views) The show of shame that sealed Justice Uzokwe’s fate (17,936 views) Breaking News : Dr Okezie Ikpeazu resigns from Abia State Environmental Sanitation Agency (ASEPA). (8,621 views) Abiriba Kingdom Celebrates as Eze Kalu Kalu Ogbu (IV) marks 14th year on the throne (7,955 views) Lawyers accuse Lagos Police of working for PDP (7,807 views) Ebola virus in Syria – Infecting ISIS members (7,708 views) Radio Biafra delivers AM Transmitter (7,527 views) Cojoined Twins Abby And Brittany Hensel Pose in Bikini (7,076 views) ‘Why fuel scarcity persists’ (6,813 views)