Detailed account of what happened during Zenith Bank Owerri robbery -IfeanyiCy Njoku

Posted by Factnews | 7 years ago | 4,052 times

A blogger who is based in Imo state has recounted his recollections from an interview he recently had with the only police officer who survived the February robbery that left two of his colleagues, a customer and one armed robber dead.

In a post on Facebook, he confirmed interviewing the survivor who is now blind in one eye and currently living in squalor at a hut.

Details of his narration in his own words are reproduced below:

"Good,i have read all arguments here, thanks for your views wrong or wright. I was priviledged to meet and interact with Imo police commissioner, the state PPRO,and the MOPOL Commander who linked me up to have a one on one chat with the survivor police officer for the first timne. I equally brought out the true details, his picture and revealed through my writing that truly they were three officers in the room, and two died a day after in different hospitals,and one survived, but permanently disabled. His eyes shattered and gun shot injury sustained in his leg. Thank God he is alive   .The truth which cctv footage did not capture was that they were three officers in the room. Sgt. Chukwudi Iboko from Abia State was newly posted. Just two days before the incident. He was the one that ran out. The bank has a total of eight police officers, working on shift, four works night and resumes work from 4pm and leave 7am for morning duty officers to resume.The officer who was first shot in the eye, was helping his colleague (Iboko) newly posted to fill forms. And it was after 2pm, almost time for them to hand over to next barge by 4pm. Before the robbers who were trailing a car stormed the bank. On hearing a gun shot from the robbers, Sgt Sunday Agbo(late0 first shot, but due to his wrong position, the block view from the iron rods of th bank gate, he missed the target, the car tire. Viewing through the window to shoot ,gunshot from the robbers who shot indiscriminately into the security house got into Sgt Muran Otu Attang's Eye, he fell back, blood gusshing out of his eyes, he could not see anymore. Sgt Sunday who shot at the officer at the back seat of the robbers got hit with bullet from the robbers at his stomach. he felt to it,While the one we saw on cctv footage, used the block wall between the window and door as a shield, when the robber shooting sporadically while running into the security room, his gun again got sgt Otu Muran Attang on the leg, and smartly Sgt. Chukwudi on close range hot him in the chest. Feeling that his two men are down and that the rest of the three robber would come after him, he ran out. Let it be said, that the four armed gang are all fortified with charms, ( odieshi). that's why the one seating at the back side couldn't  feel gun shot impact, the driver walked out from his car, went  straight to collect money from  a bank customer who lied on the floor with money he collected from the bank. While the other armed gang first rushed to their target, the first car that drove in and  took the sum of N2.5m,he came into the bank with, he went straight to the road, shooting sporadically to scare people away in other to make way for their exit. Recall, the officer that ran away, was shoot severally at the hip and leg by the robber at the back seat, they taught was gunned down. Two of the officers, Iboko, and Sunday died next day, one at FMC,Owerri and another at Police Clinic,Owerri. The survior was actually the most hit. This is the true story as made availabe to me by the survivor officer. Thanks"

In an earlier social media post, Mr Njoku had narrated the condition of the survivor and appealed for help to the only surviving police officer and his family.


Police Officer who survived Zenith Bank armed robbery attack needs N3M for skull surgery

The police officer who survived the armed robbery attack at Zenith Bank on February 22, 2017, at the ever busy Wetheral Road, Owerri, Imo State, Sergeant Otu Attang, has cried out to public spirited individuals and organizations to come to his aid and not watch him die in his condition.

The video footage of the armed robbery attack on the bank where a bank customer was said to have been robbed N2.5M, leading to a gun battle between the police officers posted to the bank, had gone viral on the internet on Thursday, June 8, 2017. The attack left one of the armed robbers dead by the gallant police officers, while two others that escaped were later arrested by the Imo State Police Command. gathered that one of the police officers, Sergeant Chukwudi Iboko, from Abia State, who displayed gallantry, going by the CCTV footage, died around 4am of 23 February 2017, while the second officer who also sustained severe injuries died at about the hours of 3pm on 23 February 2017.

Speaking with the sole survivor of the armed robbery attack, Sergeant Otu Attang, during an exclusive interview with this blog in Owerri on Saturday, said he was the first to get a gunshot from the armed robbers when they entered the bank premises, saying that the gunshot hit him in the eye and he lost his right eye.

According to the heroic sergeant who lives in a decrepit batcher with his family of three in Owerri, the three police officers: Sergeant Chukwudi Iboko (from Abia State), Sergeant Sunday Agbo (Benue State), and himself, Sergeant Otu Attang (from Akwa-Ibom State), were critically down as they sustained gunshot wounds from the attack.

He disclosed that they were rushed to the Federal Medical Center (FMC) Owerri, where one of them, Sergeant Chuwkudi Iboko, gave up the ghost at about 4am on 23 February, 2017.

He said that the two of them were therefore transferred to the Police Clinic in the early hours of February 23, 2017, even as the second officer, Sergeant Sunday Agbo, from Benue State, gave up the ghost at the Police Clinic at about 3pm same day.

He further disclosed that Zenith Bank had provided N400,000 for their treatment while they were at the FMC Owerri, and another N200,000 for their treatment while they were at the Police Clinic, saying that thereafter he has been left to cater for himself and family with a meager salary.

“Iboko died by 4am on February 23 and we were transferred to the Police Clinic by Shell Camp, Owerri. Sunday Agbo died same day at about 3pm while we were at the Police Clinic.

“I underwent a lot of X-rays and surgeries, and it was discovered that I needed eye surgery. I had my eye surgery at Mercy Hospital, Orji, and I was on clutches for a month and three weeks as my left leg was badly battered by bullets. I also went through a surgery to repair my feet at my own expense”, he said.

He also disclosed that the doctors said he still has bullets in his head, down to his jaw, saying that he needs about N3M for the recommended surgeries on his skull and further treatment on his eyes. He said that even though he had undergone eye surgery he still needs treatment for his eyes, as he now wears artificial eye.

Asked why he left the Police Clinic, he said that while he was at the clinic he was fending for himself, except for the day the former CP and now AIG Taiwo Lakanu intervened and accepted to pay the N20,000 daily charge on his ward, leaving him to pay for his medications and other expenses.

He also said that when he was to do his eye surgery, he was told to pay additional N20,000 to the Police Clinic for using the clinic’s theater while paying N40,000 for the surgery, pointing out that that was outside paying for medications and the eye glasses. He said the cost was unbearable for him.

He said the unbearable cost on him forced him to go to Mercy Hospital, Orji, which he said is a medical consultant to the police, and got it cheaper. He added that it was his aunty that provided the money for the eye surgery because his children were scared of his battered eye.

He also lamented that the former CP who is now AIG Lakanu had visited them at the FMC on the day of the incident and told them he had spoken with the IGP who ordered their names be recommended for promotion because of their gallantry.

He regretted that even though his colleagues had died, he has not heard anything about the promotion, since he is the only survivor. He wondered why his promotion as promised cannot be effected, even when he has been permanently disabled and lost his eye in his selfless service to the police and the fatherland.

According to him, all efforts to resolve the matter since Lakanu left Imo State Police Command has not worked, saying that a high rank officer whom he was referred to by AIG Lakanu said it was not his duty to recommend people for promotion.

He also said that his efforts to get the management of Zenith Bank at Wetheral Road where they were attacked by the armed robbers has yielded no result, as he has been told to thank God he did not die, and that the management did not have the power to authorize such expenditure.

Sergeant Otu Attang therefore calls on well-meaning individuals and organizations to come to his aid so that he can undergo the skull surgery as recommended by a consultant neuro-surgeon.

For those who may wish to assist the gallant police polce officer, below is his account details:

Account Number: 0004096569

Bank: Diamond Bank

Account Name: Muran Attang.

Readers Comments


No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.

You may also like...