Russia Says Metro-Jet Was Brought Down By Bomb

Posted by admin | 8 years ago | 2,291 times



The Russian intelligence service has said that the Metrojet airliner that went down over Egypt's Sinai Peninsula in October was brought down by a bomb.

The Russian Security Service stated this on Tuesday, stressing that traces of explosives were found among the debris, after weeks of speculation about what had caused the crash.
Russia Intelligent Service Chief, Alexander Bortnikov in his statement said;

We can definitely say this was a terrorist attack," stressing that 1kg of a TNT equivalent had been used to bring down the Airbus A321 travelling for Sharm el-Sheikh to St Petersburg in Russia.

Bortnikov was meeting Russia's President Vladimir Putin, who said those behind the attack would be held responsible.
Reacting to latest report, Putin said "We will search for them anywhere they might hide. We will find them in any part of the world and punish them."

Since the October 31crash, there have been wide speculations, with the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group posting a claim of responsibility shortly after the incident.
Metrojet ruled out a technical fault with the plane shortly after ISIL's claim, and Western politicians and intelligence officials suggested it was likely a deliberate explosion had brought the airliner down.
The suggestions of an intentional attack were dismissed by Egypt and Russia as speculation, as their investigators continued their work.

Readers Comments

comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...