South Korea warns North of "strong" response after exchange of fire

By admin on 13/10/2014

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 1,188


South Korea said on Monday it had warned North Korea of a "strong" response if it provoked an incident similar to one last week that sparked an exchange of machinegun fire across their border.

 

The warning came as South Korean President Park Geun-hye reiterated on Monday her commitment to engage with the North, despite what she called "the dual nature" of ties, saying the "door was always open to dialogue".

 

South Korea said the North Korean firing was a "provocative act" that had violated the truce suspending their 1950-53 war and the complaint was reiterated in a notice the South sent the North late on Sunday.

 

"It is a stern warning of a strong response in the event of further provocation," South Korean Defence Ministry spokesman Kim Min-seok told a briefing.

 

The exchange of fire on Friday began after North Korea fired shots at balloons carrying leaflets sent towards the North by South Korean activists critical of the North's leadership.

 

North Korea has long criticised the leaflet drops as provocative and it has threatened to respond to them with force. But beforeFriday, it had never done so.

No one was hurt in the firing.

 

North Korea's state media said on Saturday that expected talks with the South to try to improve ties were in danger of being cancelled because authorities in South Korea had allowed the activists to float their balloons.

 

"The leaflet-scattering operation ... was a premeditated and deliberate politically motivated provocation perpetrated under the backstage wire-pulling of the U.S. and the South Korean authorities," the North's KCNA news agency said.

North Korea sent a high-level delegation on a surprise visit to the South on Oct. 4 and the two sides agreed to reopen dialogue, which has been stalled since February, late this month or early next.

 

Private groups in the South, often led by defectors from the North, cite their constitutional freedom of expression in releasing their balloons.

 

The South's Unification Ministry, which handles relations with the North, repeated on Monday it had no legal justification to stop the leaflet drops but said authorities may try to step in to prevent them on the basis of ensuring public safety.

 

 

Source AP

Posted on October, 13 2014

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


You may also like...
INEC Releases Dates for Ondo, Edo States Elections...

Nigerian Army To Deploy Drones For Edo Elections...

Accommodation: How landlords offer free rooms for sex...

Berom Militia to blame for Plateau crisis, says...

ABIA PDP LEGAL TEAM DISSOCIATES PARTY FROM INEC...

You are what you eat

Charly Boy demands N500m for rights violation

Governor Ikpeazu in Adamawa State - Visits IDP...

BREAKING: DHQ Declares IPOB a Terrorist group

Arsenal 4-1 Liverpool : Hector Bellerin, Mesut Ozil,...

Cojoined Twins Abby And Brittany Hensel Pose in...

Any request made to FG to right the...
News Abia Election Special (3) Abia Supplementary Polls Update (18) Abia Supplementary Result update (22) Appointments (8) Breaking News (196) Business (42) Campus News (3) Crime (124) Economy (112) Education (127) Entertainment (148) Fashion and Style (3) General (830) Health (109) Inside Africa (40) International News (303) Interviews (28) National (1946) Politics (970) Press Releases (116) Religion (9) Security (127) Sports (431) Technology (24) World News (87)

 

 

Advertisement

 

Latest News BREAKING: INEC releases final list of candidates for 2019 general elections Court orders Police to provide basis for detaining Dino Melaye Even if Pope is my running mate, Christians won’t vote for me - El-Rufai Buhari approves Adamu as acting IG as Idris bows out today I’m also hungry, Amaechi tells Nigerians at campaign rally Management of Abia Bailout funds and Paris Club refunds; Oshiomhole is confused CJN's Trial is illegal, it’ll end in prosecutorial misadventure –Falana Saraki says FG’s haste to arraign CJN shows corruption war is compromised CJN’s trial: N’Delta militants threaten to shut down oil wells Ignore CCT summons, South-South govs tell CJN

 

Most Read Islamic agenda for Nigeria – Pastor Bosun (24,156 views) The show of shame that sealed Justice Uzokwe’s fate (17,587 views) 47 YEARS AFTER, HIS EXCELLENCY, COMMODORE EBITU UKIWE (Rtd) MAKES THE “OFO NDI IGBO” RECIPIENTS LIST (17,208 views) Breaking News : Dr Okezie Ikpeazu resigns from Abia State Environmental Sanitation Agency (ASEPA). (7,750 views) Lawyers accuse Lagos Police of working for PDP (7,392 views) Radio Biafra delivers AM Transmitter (7,166 views) ‘Why fuel scarcity persists’ (6,199 views) Abiriba Kingdom Celebrates as Eze Kalu Kalu Ogbu (IV) marks 14th year on the throne (5,850 views) Nurse Justina Obi Ejelonu, one of the nurses that contracted Ebola virus is dead!!! (5,809 views) Breaking News : 2015 - Abaribe withdraws from Abia guber race, backs Ikpeazu (5,581 views)