Gaza conflict: Hamas vows no Israel ceasefire

By FactNews Admin on 30/07/2014

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 1,192


A reclusive Hamas commander has rejected suggestions the Palestinian militants are ready for a ceasefire with Israel to end violence in Gaza.

In an audio recording, Mohammad Deif, commander of Hamas’ military wing, said his soldiers were “eager for death”.

Fighting continued into the early hours of Wednesday, with at least 32 Palestinians killed by Israeli fire overnight, Gaza health officials said.

At least 1,200 Palestinians and 55 Israelis have been killed since July 8.

Early on Wednesday, shelling on a UN school in Gaza’s Jabaliya refugee camp killed at least 15, medical sources said.

A UN official confirmed the shelling but gave a lower initial toll of 16 dead, AFP news agency reported.

Most of Palestinian deaths have been civilians, and 6,700 have been injured, according to the Gaza health ministry.

Israel has seen 53 of its soldiers die in the conflict with militant group Hamas. Two civilians and a Thai worker in Israel have also died.

Palestinian factions are expected to meet in Cairo on Wednesday to discuss a possible humanitarian ceasefire. Egyptian mediators are reportedly revising an earlier truce proposal that was accepted by Israel but not Hamas.

As international pressure for a ceasefire grows, Israel and Hamas have each reiterated their positions and aims.

“We don’t accept any condition of ceasefire,” the Associated Press quoted Hamas commander Mohammad Deif as saying. “There is no ceasefire without the stop of the aggression and the end of the siege.”

Israel and Egypt have imposed a blockade on Gaza and restricted the entry of goods since 2007.

The recording of Mohammad Deif’s statement emerged at the same time as a Hamas video of militants using a tunnel to attack an Israeli soldier.

Israel insists the existence of such tunnels, dug by militants to infiltrate Israel, are the key reason for pressing ahead with Operation Protective Edge.

The Israel Defense Forces want to continue operations to destroy the tunnels once any ceasefire is agreed.

Earlier on Tuesday a senior figure in the West Bank, Yasser Abed Rabbo, said a ceasefire was imminent and claimed to speak for Hamas.

But a spokesman for the group quickly denied that.

 

Posted on July, 30 2014

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


You may also like...
[VIDEO]IPOB members resurface, threaten Anambra election

Aisha blasts Atiku, says “it’s not by force...

Traditional Ruler, Wife, 10 Others killed in Kogi...

Okorocha Replies Oshiomhole, Says APC Chairman is ‘Father...

Obiano presents refurbished APC, Gives Cheque to Army,...

AFCON 2017 Qualifiers: Super Eagles beat Chad in...

Federal Government to produce aviation masterplan

Gov Orji Commissions Aba Mega Mall, Performs Groundbreaking...

Mutiple PVC in Asa Nnetu unit 11, Ugwunagbo...

Fayose’s Account to Remain Frozen as Court Adjourns...

INEC Boss insists on not quitting before elections...

South Korea warns North of "strong" response after...
News Abia Election Special (3) Abia Supplementary Polls Update (18) Abia Supplementary Result update (22) Appointments (8) Breaking News (196) Business (42) Campus News (3) Crime (124) Economy (112) Education (127) Entertainment (148) Fashion and Style (3) General (830) Health (109) Inside Africa (40) International News (303) Interviews (28) National (1946) Politics (970) Press Releases (116) Religion (9) Security (127) Sports (431) Technology (24) World News (87)

 

 

Advertisement

 

Latest News BREAKING: INEC releases final list of candidates for 2019 general elections Court orders Police to provide basis for detaining Dino Melaye Even if Pope is my running mate, Christians won’t vote for me - El-Rufai Buhari approves Adamu as acting IG as Idris bows out today I’m also hungry, Amaechi tells Nigerians at campaign rally Management of Abia Bailout funds and Paris Club refunds; Oshiomhole is confused CJN's Trial is illegal, it’ll end in prosecutorial misadventure –Falana Saraki says FG’s haste to arraign CJN shows corruption war is compromised CJN’s trial: N’Delta militants threaten to shut down oil wells Ignore CCT summons, South-South govs tell CJN

 

Most Read Islamic agenda for Nigeria – Pastor Bosun (24,156 views) The show of shame that sealed Justice Uzokwe’s fate (17,587 views) 47 YEARS AFTER, HIS EXCELLENCY, COMMODORE EBITU UKIWE (Rtd) MAKES THE “OFO NDI IGBO” RECIPIENTS LIST (17,206 views) Breaking News : Dr Okezie Ikpeazu resigns from Abia State Environmental Sanitation Agency (ASEPA). (7,750 views) Lawyers accuse Lagos Police of working for PDP (7,392 views) Radio Biafra delivers AM Transmitter (7,166 views) ‘Why fuel scarcity persists’ (6,199 views) Abiriba Kingdom Celebrates as Eze Kalu Kalu Ogbu (IV) marks 14th year on the throne (5,849 views) Nurse Justina Obi Ejelonu, one of the nurses that contracted Ebola virus is dead!!! (5,809 views) Breaking News : 2015 - Abaribe withdraws from Abia guber race, backs Ikpeazu (5,579 views)